Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Door Guy Chronicles - 12/15/2012

There are very few other professions where you are forced to literally stand on the street and have an eye on what's going on in your immediate surroundings and one of the best parts of being a door guy is the benefit of always having your ear to the street.  It may appear that the door guy has little else to do aside from checking ID's, texting shorties and wearing sweet leather jackets; but the most important job a door guy might have is assessing any sort of trouble coming in or going out of the bar.  You need to know who's peeing where, where the wobbly drunk girl is and whether the group of aggro bro-ragers are coming in, going out or just walking on by.  And again, you need to do all this while checking ID's, refreshing your twitter feed and making sure you look super cool.  So with everything that's going on at a bar on a Friday or Saturday night, the door guy definitely has information on what's going on in the neighborhood.

So here is what I noticed:
  • I walked up to start my shift and the street was blocked off.  Apparently some dude had taken his girlfriend hostage with a shotgun.  As you might imagine, the area was thick with cops and the fire department and news crews.  Luckily the badguy was apprehended and everything concluded as peaceful as possible.  Definitely the "thing" to talk about at the bar that night.
  • SantaCon was today.  We expected a larger group of participants raging their santa-balls off during evening but I think for most it's one of those start early, end early type things.  I got a couple tastes of what was going on with SantaCon in Nob Hill and North Beach throughout the day and had three thoughts on the event: 
    • Pretty underwhelmed with the level of creativity I've come to expect with these themed drink-a-thon's, where are all the SF creatives? (A: they're all in some art-collective-basement-co-op in the SOMA, SantaCon is for people who think tweeting and facebook is actually a job).
    • It is only possible for me to completely love or absolutely loathe these themed drink-a-thon's and my feeling is based solely on whether I am participating or not.  I just want to be a part of the group guys! Please validate me!
    • Couple fights, so so many couple fights.  I have no explanation, other than that everyone seemed to be 23 and that's what you do when you're 23.  Oh, also my new thing is blaming Fireball for everything, because seriously, it's the worst.
  •  Notable Characters: 
    • This Australian dude in skinny-pajama pants(as if that's a "thing") and a jacket getting way to touchy-feely with me just because I remembered his name.  Seriously, what is it with Australian guys?
    • This guy named "J" who can best be described as being exactly like Seth Green's character in "Can't Hardly Wait", hanging out ALL NIGHT and asking me and my buddy Tommy questions like "So where are you livin' at, now?" as if he's known either of us for more than the few hours he popped in and out to interrupt with some ratchet-ass commentary
    • Two dudes casually asking me where to find girls once they get their blow (A: Wreck Room)

No comments:

Post a Comment