Thursday, November 29, 2012

Trader Joe's Opened Finally, Is Still Boring

So the old, terrible Cala Foods on the corner of California and Hyde died almost a year ago, and finally, after a year of incubating, a Trader Joe's was born yesterday.  Since I'm unemployed and drink too much on weeknights, I decided to walk over in my pig pen haze of dust and stink-lines on opening day and see if this was really the second coming of grocery-Jesus.

Over the past year, the entire neighborhood and anyone within a decent hike has expressed anywhere from casual optimism to full on, your-name-just-got-called-on-"The Price Is Right"-ecstasy; and wherever you're thoughts and feelings fell on that spectrum, you were right to feel that way.  The old Cala Foods was a terrible place to buy food and no matter what my day had entailed up to the point of entering Cala, I immediately felt like I had been doing dirty things in the TL for an unknowable amount of time and the only thing I was going to be leaving with was a frozen pizza, Coco Krispies or chili; because obviously real groceries were an impossibility at a time like this.  Cala sucked.

But you know what, Trader Joe's is kinda overrated.  After two whole walk-through's on what was considered the unofficial "soft opening", I wasn't able to find a single thing that was going to satisfy my hangover monster.  That's a problem.  Ok, so maybe I'm a bit indecisive when my brain is functioning at half-speed, and maybe I get a bit overwhelmed when experiencing shiny, new things; but I've been to Trader Joe's before and I'm pretty familiar with their brand of neu-hippie, quasi-ethnic, fancy-ish foodstuffs and I guess none of that really impresses me.  Sure there are things that I like from Trader Joe's, but walking the floor on opening day once again reminded me how overrated Trader Joe's actually is.

I won't make the argument that Cala is even remotely comparable, because, come on, but it definitely made me realize that it's just a store, and sometimes you're hungover and you just want to eat a whole Tombstone to yourself and pretend like you didn't, or eat a box of Coco Krispies at 3am.

1 comment:

  1. REBUTTAL:

    http://tehtob.blogspot.com/2009/04/things-i-bought-at-trader-joes-that-i.html

    Dude, Trader Joe's has great (and cheap) frozen pizzas. They have tons of hangover food, actually. Lots of great frozen, greasy things. Their quattro formaggi frozen pizza (referenced in that blog) is like $4 and it's delicious. You can then put your own toppings on.

    TR8R J0Z 4 LYF3!

    ReplyDelete